For a Mahjong player, it is a matter of pride to own one of the best Mahjong sets. And it is understandable. Every hobbyist loves to own a perfect Mahjong set.
After all, a perfect set delivers the best experience for your gaming needs. There are a lot of options for Mahjong sets available in the market. Choosing one of them gets difficult, even for an expert.
Look for some standard features before you make the purchase. Consider the number of tiles the set has, the quality of the product, a carrying case for the ease of transporting it. You can also choose to go through this guide where I’ve listed the best Mah jongg sets for you.
What is a Mahjong Set?
To discuss a Mahjong set you will need to know about the game – Mahjong. This is a board game that uses tiles and is believed to have been developed in China during the Qing Dynasty.
The game is usually played by 4 players and involves skill, strategy, and some level of chance/luck. This game is a complete set of various components. There are different tiles that are based on symbols and characters, racks, pushers etc.
This game’s popularity has spread all across the world and now there’s an American Mahjong and other regional variants. Owing to the variations available it can get difficult for you to choose the best Mahjong set for yourself.
Here’s a help-guide for you.
Best Mahjong Sets Reviews in 2020
1. American Mah Jongg Soft Bag Case By CHH – Best Overall
The first Mahjong set to feature on our list is originally from the manufacturer Getting Fit. This is a classic American Mahjong set. This Mahjong set makes up for the perfect entertainer for some family fun-time or even with your friends.
This full-size American Mahjong set comes with 166 tiles in all. It includes 4 Mahjong racks or pushers, 4 dot tiles of each number from 1 to 9, 4 bamboo tiles of each number from 1 to 9, 4 character tiles of each number from 1 to 9.
The set also includes 4 tiles each of North, South, East, West, 4 tiles each of Red Dragon, Green Dragon, and White Dragon also called soap. It’s an American Mahjong set so it obviously includes 10 tiles of Joker, 2 tiles each for Autumn, Fall, Spring, Winter, and 4 Blank tiles.
You’ll be happy to know that all tiles are carved and painted to ensure its top notch quality. These cream-white color tiles have been engraved first and then painted, so the paint won’t chip off from the surface.
Luckily, you’ll get four different colors of pushers or racks included; hence there is no chance of confusion while playing.
Moreover, the entire set comes in a burgundy carrying bag which is lightweight and handy. So, you can carry this set anywhere you want to take. So, enjoy your games wherever you go!
- It is a full-size American Mahjong set which includes 166 tiles.
- The set is made of quality, long-lasting material.
- The set includes pushers/racks.
- Lightweight and portable.
2. Linda Li Mahjong Sets – Pro Pick
This American Mahjong set by Linda Li is from the house of American- Wholesaler Inc. This Mahjong set is one of the most stylish and popular ones available. The tiles included in this set are all scratch-resistant melamine made.
They are white-colored, with hand-painted engravings. The total count of the tiles is 166 – 36 dot tiles, 36 bamboos, 36 for characters, 12 dragon tiles, 16 tiles for wind, 16 flowers, 10 jokers, and 4 blanks. The dimension of the tiles – 30mm x 23mm x 13mm.
The set also includes 4 all-in-one pushers and tile racks for smooth gameplay experience. The set includes 3 dice of the size ⅝ inches. There are 100 money chips and the bettor (these accessories are kept inside the zippered pouch of the bag. Speaking of bag, the entire set comes in a stylish high-quality soft quilted bag.
The straps make it easy to carry around. The set is pretty lightweight – under 4kgs (8.6 pounds) hence not difficult to carry. Another special feature of this set is that it includes “Mah Jongg Primer, American Style” by Michele Frizzel which helps you go through the rules and master the game.
Though at first, this set might seems a little expensive, but it is reasonable given the quality and the components included.
- A stylish set of American Mahjong with 166 tiles.
- Tiles are long-lasting and scratch-proof.
- The set is lightweight and easy to carry.
- The set includes pushers/racks and Mah Jongg Primer guide.
3. Yellow Mountain Imports Chinese Mahjong Set – Best Value
This set is from the house of Yellow Mountain Imports and is a great choice for Mahjong lovers because of its sheer class and quality. This set is based on the Chinese variant of the game is a standard size Chinese Mahjong set.
This set contains all the Chinese Mahjong elements like the essential Arabic numeric marketing, oriental symbols etc. The brand delivers on the original feel by making use of the traditional tile art for the tiles in the set. The set includes 146 melamine tiles to ensure long-lasting smooth playing time.
The best thing about this mahjong set is the overall class it oozes. The entire set comes well packed within a red vinyl briefcase-like enclosure. The entire set weighs around 4.3 kgs and thanks to its compact design, it is easy to carry around.
The sturdiness of the case and the quality of the tiles, dice and the whole set makes it one of the best available options. However, the set does not include racks and pushers.
- Comes in a stylish vinyl carrying case.
- Includes scratch-resistant melamine tiles (146 in number).
- The set is lightweight and easy to carry.
- Long-lasting and sturdy.
4. Kai Tai Inc American Mahjong Set
This Mahjong set is by Kai Tai Inc. This is the best American Mahjong set and is a complete package for the hobbyist in you. It comes with 166 tiles which have been carefully crafted. The tiles have been engraved and painted to give you the premium feel.
This set has the standard non-glaring tiles for Circles, Bamboo, characters, red and white Dragons, flowers, jokers, and blanks. Also, there are 16 tiles each for North, East, West, South.
The set also includes 4 jewel-colored transparent pushers/racks, coin holders, chips, a wind indicator, and 3 dice. It is difficult to find sets which include pushers, and here’s this Mahjong set which includes even tile trays which are lined with felt.
The overall quality of the product is top-notch. The set comes packed in a sturdy yet lightweight aluminum case with latches and a handle. The tile trays are included to provide the best protection to the tiles and the entire set.
This Mahjong set also comes with an instruction manual for beginners to learn how to play the game.
- The set is a full-size American Mahjong set with 166 tiles.
- The tiles are engraved and painted.
- The set includes pushers, chips, instruction manuals.
- The product is built to last with extra safety provisions.
The next best Mahjong set on the list is the American Mahjong set by Linda Li from the house of American-Wholesaler Inc. again. This set is another one of the beautiful and stylish looking Linda Li Mahjong sets.
The 166 tiles are ivory colored and fully engraved. The tiles are made of scratch-proof melamine and have been beautifully hand-painted.
This is a standard American Mahjong set with 166 premium tiles which include 36 tiles for Dots, 36 for Bamboos, 35 Characters, 12 tiles for Dragons, 16 tiles for Winds (4 each for North, East, West, and South), 16 flowers, 10 joker tiles, and 4 blanks.
This set also includes 4 all-in-one pushers and tile racks and 3 dice included. There are also 100 money chips, bettor, and an instructional guide (Mah Jongg Primer, American Style by Michele Frizzell) included.
The set comes packed in a soft, quilted, stylish bag with built-in straps so it is easy to carry around. Additionally, this includes quilted wrappers that keep the pushers and tiles safe.
The product is lightweight and weighs about 7.8 pounds. Speaking of the price, this set falls in the mid-range. But the quality of the product justifies the price range.
- Beautiful, stylish, and long-lasting mah jong set.
- The set is standard size with 166 tiles and other components included.
- The set comes with additional wrappers to safeguard the pushers and tiles.
- The set comes in a handy bag which makes it easy to carry around.
6. USAMJTABLE American Mahjong Set
On this top products list, a great new set of Western/American Mahjong from the manufacturer USAMJTABLE. It’s a full size, premium quality Mahjong set with 166 tiles. The tiles are white and have been engraved before being painted.
The count of the specific tiles – 4 tiles each for 1-9 Dots, 4 each for 1-9 Bamboos, 4 each for 1-9 Characters, 4 tiles each for West, East, North, South, 4 tiles each for the Red, Green, and White Dragons, 2 tiles each for Autumn, Fall, Spring, and Winter, 10 Jokers and 4 blank spares.
The set also includes a set of 4 transparent pushers/racks, tiny dice, money chips, and an instruction manual for beginners, which is difficult to find in most Mah Jongg sets these days.
This Mahjong set is perfect for almost all age groups because the instruction manual allows even beginners to get started with this. The set comes in a hot pink nylon bag with straps which make it easier if you want to carry them around.
Like other mahjong sets this is also lightweight. The overall size and built makes it very convenient to store and carry this set anywhere.
- A premium full-sized American Mahjong Set with 166 white tiles.
- Comes with a hot pink carrying bag with straps.
- Includes pushers/racks, dice, chips, and an instruction manual.
- Can easily be carried around.
7. Yellow Mountain Imports American Mahjong Set
Here is yet another Mahjong set from Yellow Mountain Imports. This American Mahjong set is “A Mojave”: which denotes it has an ivory-colored case and tiles. The best feature is that this Mah Jong game set supports both American and Chinese format of the game rules.
So gather up your friends and family and start enjoying this premium game set. This game set also comes with the usual 166 tiles.
This set is almost a dream set for any Mahjong lover. The tiles are of premium quality – melamine made so they are scratch proof and have been engraved then hand-painted.
It comes with 4 all-in-one classy looking wooden racks with pushers attached to it. It also includes Wright Patterson pastel-colored counting coins, a wooden wind indicator, and an illustrated instruction manual.
This set is really the best you could get at this price range, the product is all about the minute details. For instance, the pushers attach with magnets to the back of the rack to build walls and to the top of the rack for space-saving storage.
This Mah Jongg is super travel-friendly, firstly because it is compact. Secondly, this set comes in a lightweight nylon case. The look of the case is edgy with zipper pockets and a sturdy finish.
- Premium quality Mahjong set which can be played according to both American and Chinese game rules.
- The tiles are made of scratch-proof melamine and are engraved with Chinese characters and Roman numerals.
- The set is travel friendly because of its compactness and is lightweight.
- The pushers attach to the racks with a magnet to build walls and to provide space-saving storage.
8. John N. Hansen Co. Mahjong Game Set
This classic American Mahjong set comes from John N. Hansen Co. It has been designed keeping young players and beginners in mind specifically. The set comes with traditional Mahjong tiles which are 166 in number and have been made such so they don’t fade out easily.
This mahjong set is also versatile i.e. can be played both American and Chinese way. To play the Chinese variant of Mahjong with these traditional tiles make use of the red dragons as Hong Zhong and the green dragons as fa tiles.
As usual this game set also comes with various tiles such as Dots, Bamboos, Characters, Dragons, Winds, Flowers, Jokers, and Blank spares. The tiles have been made with durable and fade-resistant melamine. They have also been engraved and painted.
The manufacturers, (Hansen co., which is a family-owned business) are known to deliver quality products and it shows in this product as well. The entire set not only includes the tiles but also chips, racks, dice, and an instruction manual for beginners.
Also, the set comes packed in a tough, hard-sided Aluminum attache case which helps you to store away the product with the utmost care. It is sturdy and suitable for transportation.
- Classic Western/American Mahjong set.
- Can be played as Chinese Mahjong as well.
- Designed specifically for beginners.
- The tiles are made of melamine and have been engraved.
- The set comes in a hard-sided Aluminum attache case and is suitable for transportation.
9. Yaheetech American Mahjong Set
A perfect set of American Mahjong tiles for you. This is one of the best portable Mahjong set available with all the gaming essentials and at a reasonable price. The feel of this entire set tells you its a premium case.
The set contains the usual pack of 166 tiles includes 4 racks with attached pushers, dice, 100 counting chips (25 for each color), tile storage trays, wind indicator, and an illustrated manual for beginners with all the rules.
The tiles included in the set are made of scratch-resistant, fade-proof melamine and have been carved deep, so will last longer. The set comes packed in an Aluminium frame, MDF case attache.
The insides of this case are lined with velvet which protects the dice, tiles etc. It is lightweight and easy to carry around, hence a perfect entertainer for your outdoor family picnics. It also makes for a fantastic gift option given the high-end feel to it. Any Mah Jongg player would appreciate this classic set.
- The product is built to last. It comes in a protective case with a velvet lining on the inside.
- The tiles and other components are made of quality material.
- The overall feel of the product makes it seem high-end. Anything a hobbyist would enjoy.
- The set can also be used by beginners, the tiles are fade and scratch-resistant. And there is an instruction manual included.
10. Nova Microdermabrasion American Mah Jongg Set
This 166 tiles American Mahjong set with pushers comes from Nova Microdermabrasion. The quality of the product reflects the finesse of this set. This Nova American Mahjong set can be your partner anywhere you go.
You want to take it outdoors to celebrate Chinese new year, you can do that, or you can simply play it indoors. Jumping into the main elements of the set, the tiles are made of dense, scratch-resistant melamine that lasts longer and feels weighty.
The illustrations are engraved deep and have been distinctly painted using green, red, and black colors. This is one of those luxury Mah Jongg sets that has all the elements needed and more.
The set also includes functional racks and pushers and tile trays which make it easy to put the tiles away after a game. This Nova set keeps every detail in mind. Even the tile trays come with a transparent lid that keeps the tiles in place while stowed away.
The entire set comes in a protective tote bag which has internal cushioning to protect the contents. It also has two sturdy straps to help you carry it around when needed.
- Premium, full-sized American Mahjong set with a thick tote bag which makes it easy to carry around.
- Tiles are made of dense, scratch-resistant melamine and have been carved deep.
- The set is complete with pushers, racks, dice, wind indicator, guide et cetera.
- The overall quality of the product is top-notch.
11. American-Wholesaler Inc. Aluminum Case Mah Jongg Set
Another Mahjong set from the house of American-Wholesaler Inc. on this list, thanks to their quality products. This full-size American Mahjong set comes with 166 white tiles.
The set also comes with 2 tile trays which can hold 80 tiles (the other 6 are 2 jokers and 4 spares which are extras).
The trays have a transparent lid which hold the tiles in place and provide protection. The tiles have been crafted intricately where they are engraved deep and have been hand-painted. They are made of melamine which makes them durable.
The entire set comes with 4 all-in-one pushers and rack combo, 3 large dice, bettor, money chips (100 in number) and an instruction manual. The instruction manual is a free copy of “Mah Jongg Primer, American Style” by Michele Frizzell with 3D graphics.
This set comes with the best of the best protective encasement – a sturdy aluminum attache holds the components. The case has latches and a handle. It is sturdy yet lightweight making it an excellent choice for outdoor gaming sessions where you can carry it easily.
- A premium quality full-sized American Mahjong set with 166 tiles.
- The set comes in a sturdy protective Aluminium attache-case.
- The tiles are made of durable melamine and have been hand-painted after being engraved.
- The set also includes pushers/racks, money chips, dice, and an instruction manual for the game.
12. We Pay Your Sales Tax American Mahjong Set
This set is the one of the best choices for every stylish Mahjong lover. The set is a beautiful and stylish one from the manufacturer – We pay your sales tax. The set is a full-sized western Mahjongg game set with 166 tiles.
The tiles have been engraved first and then been painted which prevents them from fading out.
The set includes 4 transparent colored racks with pushers attached. This mahjong set is perfect for players who are just beginning their journey with the game.
It comes with an instruction manual containing all the rules for the game. The set also includes betting chips and dice, but the dice are a little on the small side.
Coming to the style element of this set, it is perfect for anyone. It comes in a waterproof and dirt-resistant nylon bag. The bag’s body is black and the zipper & stitches are blue. This color combination makes it look really trendy.
The manufacturer also offers a money-back guarantee up until the first 60 days of purchase.
- It’s a stylish looking full sized American Mahjong set with 166 tiles.
- The tiles have been engraved and painted.
- The set includes transparent colored racks with pushers, dice, chips, and an instruction manual.
- The bag is made of waterproof and dust-resistant nylon material.
- The manufacturer offers a money-back guarantee for the initial 60 days.
13. Yellow Mountain Imports Japanese Riichi Mahjong Set
This Mahjong set is yet another beautiful and classy looking gaming set on the list. It is by Yellow Mountain Imports. This set is actually the Japanese variant of the game and is the chosen version of the European Mahjong Association.
This variant uses “Riichi” and “Dora” tiles. “Riichi” scores rules and “Dora” tiles add another layer of luck, uncertainty, and thrill into the game.
The set comes with 144 mahjong tiles which made from melamine. So, you can play smoothly for many hours. This is the best possible ready-to-play Japanese Mahjong set.
It includes all the necessary elements including tile storage trays, betting sticks, 4 dice and an east-wind tessera. The tessera helps in determining the seating placement.
Coming to the style quotient and portability factor – this set is perfect. This Mahjong set comes in a classy looking black vinyl case.
It is sturdy, stylish and lightweight, so carry it around with ease and pride. The company also offers a money-back guarantee up until the first 30 days if you aren’t satisfied with the purchase.
- A stylish, compact Japanese Mahjong set with 144 tiles.
- The tiles are made of premium quality melamine which makes them scratch-proof and long-lasting.
- The tiles have been engraved and painted so they don’t face away with use.
- The set is lightweight and portable.
- The brand offers a money-back guarantee for 30 days so you can buy with confidence.
14. American Mahjong Game Set With Soft Bag
Here’s an American Mahjong by usamjtable and the manufacturer is Kelllelldaaa. I decided to put in a cheap Mahjong set option in here. But don’t be disheartened, it is a quality product at low price. It looks like one of the Mahjong sets from designer labels but is cheaper in comparison yet a premium product.
The set has the standard inclusions like 166 tiles, 4 racks with pushers, dice, betting chips, and a wind indicator. The tiles are divided as 36 tiles for Dots, 36 tiles for Bamboo, 36 tiles for Characters, 12 tiles each for red and white Dragons, 16 tiles each for North, East, West, South, 16 flowers, 10 tiles of Jokers and 4 blanks.
The set has been designed keeping beginners in mind and has an instruction manual included within. The product also includes tile trays which have transparent lids to hold the tiles in place and protect them.
This set takes all measures to provide for the safekeeping of the game set. The set comes in a stylish bag with zipper and a pocket on the inside. The bag is quilted and provides cushioning to the set.
The racks and pushers have a quilted wrapper to store them safely. There is a second quilted wrapper provided to protect the tile trays. The set is lightweight and the bag has straps which make it easy to carry around.
- This American Mahjong set has the stylish look of a game set by designer labels but is cheaper and of good quality.
- It is a full sized set with 166 tiles, pushers/racks, chips, dice, wind indicator.
- It is suitable for beginners too, it includes an instruction manual.
- It comes in a bag and is lightweight which makes it handy.
- The brand offers an unconditional 30-days money-back guarantee.
15. White Swan Mah Jongg Set
This beautiful Mah Jongg set is last on the list of the best Mahjong sets and it is the perfect show stopper. This set is manufactured and distributed by White Swan Mah Jongg and is a premium full sized set with 166 ivory tiles.
The tiles are made of melamine to make it durable and they have been carved and hand-painted. This technique makes the tiles long lasting without the print fading away.
Like others, you also get all necessary elements such as Mah Jongg pushers, racks, betting chips, dice, spare jokers, bettor etc.
The whole look of the set gives it a classy feel. It shows that this luxurious set has been designed by expert Mah Jongg players. The design team left no stones unturned.
The tiles are beautiful with white swan logo embossed. These tiles are smooth and perfect which have been engraved and the characters are clearly marked with bright red, green and black.
The entire set comes packed in a study yet gorgeous Aluminum case with extra-strong latches and ergonomic handles. The insides of the case have been lined with padding to protect the elements while you are carrying the case around. The case is sturdy and easy to transport.
- This is a premium full-sized American Mahjong set from White Swan Mah Jongg.
- The set has been built with utmost precision and attention to detail.
- The product is built to last. The case is sturdy and the tiles are made with melamine.
- The set also includes other necessary elements like pushers, chips, rulebook et cetera.
- The set is easy to transport.
Things To Consider Before Buying a Mahjong Set
All the options available leaves a buyer flustered. And I don’t blame you, there are several good choices out there in the market. However, there are some brands that only pretend to sell premium Mahjong sets. So here’s a little guide about things to consider before you make a purchase decision.
Types of Mahjong Sets
Though the game originally started as Chinese Mahjong, it’s popularity gave birth to many other variants like the western version, the Japanese version et cetera. The traditional mahjong – the Chinese version requires 136 tiles.
Other variations use 152 tiles or 166 in some. You need to consider the kind of Mahjong set you want to purchase. Look for product details before you purchase a set.
Tile Material and Artwork
If we talk of tradition, Mahjong tiles used to be built of animal bones originally. In the current scenario, brands use acrylic, melamine and other high-end plastic materials. Some rare brands may use wood to make these tiles but mostly these are made of plastic.
Some tiles might have a different-colored plastic attached to the back of the tile. Green is the most used color on Chinese mahjong tiles. Because the Chinese consider green as the color of prosperity but other colors are also found.
Another important factor to consider is the aspect. Although most of the symbols and characters are the same, the artwork differs. Quality tiles have more intricately designed artwork.
The characters are mostly engraved and hand-painted in most quality tiles. This makes it look and feel more attractive and also makes it fade-proof.
Elements of the Set
It is crucial to judge a set’s quality and value for money. And one way to do it is judge the elements included. Any set at a decent price would include the essential elements. The price range can fluctuate a little based on the quality of these individual elements.
- Racks: Basic mahjong sets include racks to stack the tiles similar to the ones used in Scrabble. This is because the tiles in these sets are generally thin and cannot stand independently, so players use racks. So if you are purchasing a basic mahjong set which is, say, ideal for beginners, ensure it comes with a set of racks.
- Pushers: Pushers are generally included in Mahjong sets. Pushers are used to push the wall without exposing the rest of the tiles. It is a great deal if they come included or you can buy them separately.
- Dice, Betting Chips, Wind Indicator: These are the basics you need to start playing Mahjong. If you are a pro and have been playing Mahjong for long, you probably already have a collection of these. For beginners, buying their first Mahjong set, these inclusions are beneficial.
Playing Mahjong requires a lot of small elements, chips, dice, tiles et cetera. Storing them properly can be a headache. This is why I say every Mahjong set should come with a storage and carrying case.
When you buy your Mahjong set, look for one which comes with a case. Pay close attention to the details of the case. These storage cases help to protect your game set and also make it easier to carry around if you are planning to take the game somewhere.
American Vs Chinese Mahjong
The game of Mahjong originated in China about 150 years ago and has traveled across the world since. In the early 1920s Americans adopted this game as a favorite pastime and gave birth to the American variation called American Mahjong.
The best way to explain this is considering Mahjong as a language and all the different versions – Chinese, American, Japanese are the different dialects.
Out of all the variants, the two most popular ones are the Chinese and American version. So here I am putting down the basic differences between the two forms of the game. So before we get to the distinct differences, you need to know what constitutes the basics of the original style of play.
- The game is played by 4 players and each rolls the dice. The player with the highest count becomes the East wind which means he/she will be the dealer. The player who rolls the next highest number becomes South, then comes West and North respectively.
- The players proceed to the gameplay where all the tiles are shuffled and placed with their faces hidden. Each player draws 38 tiles and creates a wall of two rows (19 tiles in each row).
- The dealer throws the dice to determine the breaking point of the wall. The dealer counts the number from the right side of the wall and takes away 4 tiles from the 2 stacks thus breaking the wall. The other players follow the same procedure. The Process is repeated two more times and then once more with the dealer taking off two more tiles and others taking off one tile. At this point, the dealer has 14 tiles and others have 13 in front of them.
- Now, Charleston is performed. This is one of the major differences between the American and Chinese versions. In the Chinese variant, the Charleston isn’t performed. The players pass 3 tiles to the player on their right side. They pass it to the player opposite to that in the second round and then finally to the player on their left. This is called the Charleston and this is one of the two distinctive features of American Mahjong.
- The other difference between American and Chinese versions of the game is that American mahjong makes use of joker tiles while Chinese Mahjong doesn’t. This is why the American version of Mahjong is considered similar to the card game of gin rummy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can you play Chinese mahjong with American Mahjong Set?
Answer: Yes it is possible to play Chinese Mahjong with American Mahjong set. However you cannot play American Mahjong with a Chinese set.
This is essential because the American version of the game uses more tiles than a Chinese version. But if you buy a Chinese set you would not have enough spare tiles for the jokers.
2. Is Mahjong hard to learn?
Answer: Mahjong is a game that has been played for a very long time and if it has stayed for so long, it can’t be that hard. It is a tile based game and requires some getting used to.
So the player will need to learn the rules and practice a little. Once you have an idea of the basics (which are easy to learn), you will become a pro the more you play the game.
3. How many tiles in a mahjong set?
Answer: A typical Mahjong set has at least 136 tiles. However, as I mentioned earlier, Mahjong sets differ based on the variant. Some Mahjong variants may also use 144 tiles.
American Mahjong sets mostly have 166 tiles and this includes Joker. You will have to check the total count of tiles based on which variant of Mahjong you want to play.
4. Can Mahjong be played with 2 players?
Answer: Yes, it is possible to play Mahjong with two players. This version of Mahjong exists too and is National Mah Jongg league style also known as the Siamese Mah Jongg. This style was invented by Gladys Grad.
You can find the rules for this version if you search for Siamese Mahjong. Some players tried these rules on other Mahjong variants too and it seems to work.
5. How long does it take to play mahjong?
Answer: There isn’t really an official answer to this because people take their own sweet time to enjoy and play so it differs. But some hobbyists have reported it roughly takes about 15 minutes per hand (10 mins for fast players).
So if you are playing a full game with four hands per wind and there are 4 winds then the total time taken should be between 160-240 minutes.
6. Do I need to know Mandarin to be able to read Chinese characters to play Mahjong?
Answer: No you don’t. The characters on the tiles are Chinese characters but you don’t need to know Mandarin. Just go through an instruction manual and you will know which character denotes which tile. You only need to know this much to play Mahjong.
American Mahjong still uses the Chinese characters for the authentic feel. The game was invented in China after all.
7. Are there any mahjong sets that can be used for all mahjong variations?
Answer: No, every variation of the Mahjong game differs and uses a different number of tiles. This is why one set isn’t enough for all known Mahjong variations. However, going by the number of tiles, the American Mahjong set is the most versatile and can be used to play most of the variants.
Mahjong is a popular game and once you start playing you’ll know why. No matter if you are a pro at the game or just a beginner, this list presents the best Mahjong sets for anybody and everybody.
Take your pick and start gaming!
More content related to board games: